Update 2: We’ve finally received word from StumbleUpon. A spokesperson tells WebPronews, “We’ve had a few outages this morning that have affected some users. We are working on it now. We should be up and running for everyone soon.”
As of the time of this writing, everything appears to be working as normal from here.
StumbleUpon has been experiencing some major issues for hours. Currently, I personally can’t get past an error message at StumbleUpon.com, though some can actually access the site as normal. The StumbleUpon bar (for Chrome) appears to be working, in that you can Stumble through content (this was not working before). Stumble buttons on websites are not loading. Su.pr, StumbleUpon’s URL-shortening service is still not working. Trying to submit a new piece of content to StumbleUpon is not working. When trying to “like” a piece of content already in StumbleUpon’s system, I’m getting a network error.
We’ve reached out to the company for comment, and will update if and when we receive a response.
Update: StumbleUpon has acknowledged the issues. The company says in a Facebook post:
We have some problems right now which may be affecting your Stumbling. Sorry about that. )o:
Our Ops and Engineers are on the case and doing their thing. Normal service will be resumed just as soon as possible.
Either way, service appears to have improved to some extent over the past 30 minutes or so. Earlier, our analytics were showing zero active visitors from StumbleUpon, which is very uncommon, burt more recently, we started seeing some come in (though still fewer than normal).
Is It Down Right Now? has the following to say about it:
We have tried pinging Stumbleupon website using our server and the website returned the above results. If Stumbleupon.com is down for us too there is nothing you can do except waiting. Probably the server is overloaded, down or unreachable because of a network problem or a a website maintenance is in progress.
If the site is live and yet you cant load the page, try one of the below solutions:
- Reload the site directly from the Internet. This can be achieved by pressing CTRL + F5 keys at the same time on your favourite browser (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, etc.)
- Temporarily disable your computers firewall and close any anti-virus software that may be running in the background.
- Clear your DNS cache to make sure that it is not an ISP specific issue. (Start > Command Prompt > ipconfig /flushdns)
- Use a public DNS service such as OpenDNS or Google Public DNS
- Switch off the modem, wait a few seconds and turn on again.
- Clear the cache and cookies on your browser. Exit your browser completely before trying to access the website again.
Here is some of the chatter on Twitter:
Stumbleupon is down, what will I do with my life?
StumbleUpon isn’t working. in unrelated news my grades are better than ever
@StumbleUpon what’s going on with the website???? I just woke up and i’m trying to stumble!!!
NOOOO StumbleUpon is not working 🙁
Apparently I got to the end of StumbleUpon. Who knew that existed?
WHY DID STUMBLEUPON ERASE ALL MY INTEREST!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Stumbleupon is starting to be a serious problem now. I guess I should probably take notes now….